Thursday, March 18, 2010

Matthew 25:1-2

"At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten bridesmaids who took their lamps and went to wait for the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish and five were wise."

Jesus tells the story of the ten bridesmaids. Five were wise and took extra oil for their lanterns and 5 did not. The bridegroom was late and the bridesmaids grew sleepy. When the shout came that the bridegroom was coming, the 5 who did not take extra oil ask the others to share...By then they too only had enough for themselves. They told the unwise to go and by more from those who sell it. The 5 unwise went to buy more...but when they returned they found the door closed and they were locked out. The point of Jesus' story is to always, always be prepared. We never know the exact hour or minute when Jesus will return.

But I don't think Jesus was telling me to hoard supplies and stock up for end times with this story. No, what I do think the message is here is, Jesus wants me to be busy in service and in sharing the good news right up until the day of His great return. Watchfulness and active service do go hand in hand.

Because I don't have to be afraid of Judgment Day...all my sins are forgiven and forgotten! They are blotted out and remembered no more. All the things in my life that are rotten and filthy, and all the things that are so shameful that I have never dared to share them with anyone, will be erased from my records. In place of all that garbage will be recorded all the magnificent things that Jesus did for me.

The joy that comes from thinking about glory is a joy available to all who have surrendered their lives to Christ. All they have to do is just stop and reflect on it all from time to time. Do you know Jesus as your personal Savior? Is your name written in the Book of Life?

I have a dear friend, Theresa Bonnet. Many of you know her...and many may not. She is the most joy-filled woman of god that I know. Theresa talks about the return of Christ every day. She laughs and jokes at times..."I hope my Savior comes today...because I have a sink full of dishes I'd love to leave behind!" But really, she is ready for His glorious return. When Jesus used this example of the 10 bridesmaids going out to wait for the Lord's return...Theresa is the one that comes to mind for me. She is always busy serving and doing God work. She continually looks for all ways to serve her King. Not only that, but she does it with full joy! Yes sometimes Theresa tries to work her magic in her task...but God in His beautiful love for Theresa guides her to His will...which she knows is the very best for her. Theresa is a woman who goes out with her extra oil knowing God may be coming at any moment and she wants Him to see her with her light shining for His Kingdom.

I ask you again...do you know the joy of being forgiven? If not, come to Jesus and lay your past AS well as your future at His feet. Take comfort in knowing that no matter what the circumstances, Christ remains within you!

1 Timothy 6:12-14
"Fight the good fight of faith, grabbing hold of the life that continues forever. You were called to have that life when you confessed the good confession before many witnesses. In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, I give you a command. Christ Jesus made the good confession when he stood before Pontius Pilate. Do what you were commanded to do without wrong or blame until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again."


1 Peter 1:13-15
"So prepare your minds for service and have self-control. All your hope should be for the gift of grace that will be yours when Jesus Christ is shown to you. Now that you are obedient children of God do not live as you did in the past. You did not understand, so you did the evil things you wanted. But be holy in all you do, just as God, the One who called you, is holy."


My prayer is that you KNOW Him!

Mama Barb

No comments: