Saturday, March 20, 2010

Matthew 27:51-54

"At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son of God!"


This section of Scripture is one that truly causes me to stop and reflect, "What do I do with that day in history? What do I do with its claims?"

If it really happened...if God did commandeer his own crucifixion...if he did turn his back on his own son...If he did storm Satan's gate, then those six hours that Friday were packed with tragic triumph. If that was God on the cross, then the hill called Skull is a granite studded with stakes to which I can anchor.

Those six hours were not normal six hours. They were the most critical hours in history. For during those six hours on that Friday, God embedded in the earth three anchor points sturdy enough to withstand any hurricane.

Anchor point #1 My life is not futile! This rock secures my very heart. Its sole function is to give me something which I can grip when facing the surging tides of futility and relativism...Someone is in control and I have a purpose!

Anchor point #2 My failures are not fatal. It's not that He loves what I did, but He loves who I am...The one who has the right to condemn me has provided the way to acquit me. I make mistakes. God doesn't. And He made me...I am no mistake!

Anchor point #3 My death is not final. There is one more stone to which I must tie...It blocked the door of a grave. It wasn't big enough, though...He only went in to prove He could come OUT!. And on the way out He took the stone with Him and turned it into an anchor point...Tie it to His rock and the storm of the tomb becomes a spring breeze on Easter Sunday!

Three anchor points that can secure me to eternity...the cross!

Some people would rather see Jesus dead than controlling their lives. What room in the castle of your life - career, family, church - needs to be placed under Christ's control? Don't hesitate a day...Pray now! Give your life fully to Him. He tore the veil from top to bottom...so you and I might enter in...but more importantly...is that He could come out!



"At one time you were separated from God. You were his enemies in your minds, and the evil things you did were against God. But now God has made you his friends again. He did this through Christ's death in the body so that he might bring you into God's presence as people who are holy, with no wrong, and with nothing of which God can judge you guilty" 1 (Colossians 1:2-22 NCV).

Mama Barb

No comments: