Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mark 6:1-3

"Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed.

"Where did this man get these things?" they asked. "What's this wisdom that has been given him, that he even does miracles! Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him."



This passage really spoke to me this morning. In reading all of Mark, chapter 6 I was amazed at all the things Jesus did in this one day! He began it on the Sabbath teaching in His home town. Now the friends and relatives who saw Jesus grow up...did not believe in Him. The Bible says they, "took offense". They only saw a man...a man that came from a simple, humble beginnings. How could he have such knowledge and wisdom that we should listen to anything he as to say.

So Jesus takes His disciples and leaves His home and travels on. He then went to other villages and He teaches there. He brings His disciples together and He commands them to go out two by two then He gave them authority over evil spirits.

He tells them how to conduct themselves on their travels. "Take nothing for the journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in your belts. Wear sandals but not an extra tunic. Whenever you enter a house, stay there until you leave that town. And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them." (Mark 6:8-11)

This is exactly what Jesus did to the people of His home town. They refused His teaching...the Bible tells us He was only able to heal a few in that place. When they refused to listen or welcome Him, Jesus dusted off His feet and moved on.

The next passages quickly reveal Jesus feeding of the five thousand. Ok, I think He was able to make His point pretty quickly!

Have you ever been rejected by your own family and friends. Have you seen the doubt from a loved one...and had to just shake it off and move on. This speaks to me in so many ways. I have been there...I have had to rely on the One who gives me all strength. To trust that He is in control and no one can take that blessing from me. No one can remove me from His hands.

I have learned to pray for those who have doubted my efforts. I have learn to forgive those who don't listen. I have learned to worship Him in the times that He calls me to just sit at His feet. I pray that you will be encouraged today by this message.

Jesus has felt rejection much worse than those that won't listen! He was nailed to a cross and died for you and me! I can live with a turned head or eyes that roll in disbelief...I just have to remember the cross!

Mama Barb

No comments: