Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mark 12:43-44

"Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on" (NIV).


Putting in all you have out of your poverty. Making an offering that requires us to really trust in the Lord that HE will provide.

When I read this passage it reminded me of my own daughter. Over the past 3 years Cara Jane has had to trust her Jesus to provide for all her needs. Last Christmas after a wonderful visit home with us...we were able to love on her, feed her emotionally, physically, and spiritually. We helped pack Cara Jane back up and she flew back down to the Dominican Republic, only to experience the most devastating earthquake that had ever hit Haiti in over 200 years.

All Cara Jane could do, all she could think about was this nation of people desperately needing help. "I don't have much - but what I have God will bless and make it all they need. He will provide for me if I make this offering to them." Cara told us.

Cara Jane gave out of her poverty. She gave all that she had...and then she gave again. She donated her money, food, medical, her home, and even the use of her vehicle...she felt God had provided her with these blessings and trusted Him to make it feed her and the multitudes. She took 3 trips into Haiti at different times to make her offerings.

I was blessed by my own children this week as they conspired together to bring Cara Jane home for Mother's Day. During the time she was home this week, she shared more stories about those special moments she spent serving in God Kingdom after the earthquakes. These were stories of desperate loss, to stories of insurmountable joy, that only her Jesus could have provided. She gave all she had to Him her King and her Creator.

I know that I struggle to let go of my one tenth that He asks me to share. Hearing these stories from Cara Jane and the blessing she received doing God's will, I am reminded how much joy I choose to forfeit. If I too am in "Crazy Love" with my Jesus and sold out to Him who died for me, why can I not choose to simply trust Him. So many times I come to Him and say the same: "I just have this little tiny bit...of money, of time, of resources, of energy." And He says, "Bring what you have to me. That's all I ask. Let me take care of it from here." Giving all that I have and letting Him make it enough for someone He has prepared to bless with it.

"One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?" "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these" (Mark 12:28-31 NIV).

So I ask what little you might have to give? You might not be able to give $1000. But you could give $10. You might not be able to pledge hours and hours to serve in your church body. But you can serve once a month for one hour. You might not feel comfortable speaking to crowds. But you're great at sharing what God's doing in your life one-on-one. You might not be able to lead a prayer ministry. But you can pray for a friend who needs it, even if it seems like you're too late.

Let God take your little and make it much. Let Him take your offering out of your poverty and make it all that someone will need that is trusting Him.

Thank you Cara Jane and Jonathan Michael for blessing your mother this past week...and bringing her home. ILYA!

Mama Barb

No comments: