Saturday, February 13, 2010

Matthew 7:1-2 (NCV)

"Don't judge others, or you will be judged. You will be judged in the same way that you judge others, and the amount you give to others will be given to you.

Be careful when you judge, That doesn't mean we shouldn't discern. That does mean we shouldn't pass the verdict. The amount of grace you give is the amount you get.

Jesus had another view of the man born blind. Rather than see him as an opportunity for discussion, he saw him as an opportunity for God. Why was he blind? "So that God's power could be shown in him" (John 9:3).

What a perspective! The man wasn't a victim of fate; he was a miracle waiting to happen. Jesus didn't label him. He helped him. Jesus was more concerned about the future that the past.

Who do you best relate to in this story? Some of you relate to the man born blind. You have been the topic of conversation. You have been left on the outside looking in. You've been labeled.

If so, learn what this man learned: When everyone else rejects you, Christ accepts you. When everyone else leaves you, Christ finds you. When no one else wants you, Christ claims you. When no one else will give you the time of day, Jesus will give you the words of eternity.

Others of you will relate to the observers. You've judged. You've labeled. You've slammed the gavel and proclaimed the guilt before knowing the facts. If that is you, go back to John 9:4 and understand what the work of God is: "While it is daytime, we must continue doing the work of the One who sent me."

What is the work of God? Accepting people. Loving before judging. Caring before condemning.

Look before you label. (From A Gentle Thunder by Max Lucado)


After reading this Scripture and looking into His word deeper this morning...God revealed to me how many times I have passed judgment on others. He also caused me to reflect on the times I felt judged and left on the outside looking in. Either case is not a good place to be. The grace I find in this lesson is the reminder of John 9:4 "While it is daytime, we must continue doing the work of the One who sent me." If I am in relationship with Christ...then I covet His grace and mercy. How much grace & mercy I give out...is the measure I will get back. I'm a sinner...I think I need all the grace and mercy I can get! Forgive me Lord when I fail to see that. Thank you for reminding me I need to just be going about your work while there is still daylight!

Barb Welch

No comments: