Monday, February 15, 2010

Matthew 8:23-26

Jesus Calms a Storm

"Jesus got into a boat, and his followers went with him. A great storm arose on the lake so that waves covered the boat, but Jesus was sleeping. His followers went to him and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We will drown!"

Jesus answered, "Why are you afraid? You don't have enough faith." Then Jesus got up and gave a command to the wind and the waves, and it became completely calm."

"If you lose your faith, you will probably do so gradually in tiny increments you will get spiritually sloppy." (Max Lucado) Huh, spiritually sloppy! Man did that hit home. It caused me to think about my desire to loose more pounds again. I was not eating good anymore. I was getting sloppy and lax with my eating habits. The pounds just crept back on...and before I knew it I had re-gained 8lbs. Then sat there and said, "How did that happen?" Duh! You big nut! You got sloppy!

If I want to stay spiritually strong I have to remember that it will required daily, DAILY meditation, prayer, Bible study, keeping centered with other believers..all this to keep me from being spiritually sloppy. I need Jesus in my boat when the storms hit!

Luke 9:23, "Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." (NIV)

I have to remember this very verse...I must deny myself and take up my cross daily! This is the way I will stay spiritually sound. If I want to loose those unwanted pounds...I have to deny the Girl Scout cookies, breakfast tacos, pizza, on & on...I need my spiritually Compass! His name is Jesus!

"Stability in the storm comes not from seeking a new message but from understanding an old one. The most reliable anchor points are not recent discoveries, but are time-tested truths that have held their ground against the winds of change.

Attach your soul to these boulders and no wave is big enough to wash you under!" Max Lucado

No comments: