Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Matthew 9:9-12

When Jesus was leaving, he saw a man named Matthew sitting in the tax collector's booth. Jesus said to him, "Follow me," and he stood up and followed Jesus.

As Jesus was having dinner at Matthew's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" came and ate with Jesus and his followers. When the Pharisees saw this, they asked Jesus' followers, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?"

When Jesus heard them, he said, "It is not the healthy people who need a doctor, but the sick.

This is the story of Matthew's calling...he was just a bottom feeder tax collector. A real thug in his community. God called him, Matthew answered. Others religious leaders didn't get it. How is this man eating and basically having community with sinners? Well Jesus tells them...I didn't come for the healthy...I came for the sick and dying...to give them hope! Glad I was included in that! He came so that I might live. Amen!

No comments: